Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Padawan Training Begins with Mr. Thumb; Part 11


Training as Padawi, or Padawan learners, wasn’t what it was all cracked up to be. The next day, as Mr. Thumb had promised, we launched into an excessive training program centered on cow tipping, capturing rogue gnomes, and tying to walk on the water over Emerald Lake.

“I think this is impossible!” I yelled from the middle of the lake to Mr. Thumb who stood on the shore very dry, I might add, and warm.

“Do or do not, there is no impossible. Or something like that.” he shouted back.

I shook my head in frustration. It had been something like three weeks since the day we had been rescued by Mr. Thumb, and we had begun the training program, but we didn’t seem to be getting any closer to developing our respective powers.

Chrysanthemum seemed to be having more luck than I was. She had managed to concentrate hard enough with her mind to tip over a cow. Although there is some speculation that the cow may have slipped and fallen on a patch of ice on the frozen ground.

After a few more hours of splashing and flailing about in the water trying to, I don’t know, walk on top of it, Mr. Thumb finally waved me back to the shore.

“Something is not working,” he said dryly.

“You think?” I asked sarcastically.

“We should have had at least some results by now… We’ve tried just about everything I can think of…” He trailed off, “Except of course hanging you upside down by your ankles while you are trying to levitate rocks.”

 I hoped that he wasn’t seriously considering that idea.

“Well, maybe I can’t walk on water because walking on water is not my second power.”

“Try turning yourself invisible and then walking out into the water,” he directed.

I did as he asked for about the thousandth time that day with still no results. I got just as cold and frustrated as I had before, only this time I didn’t have my eyes opened, and I was invisible.

“At least we know that you can’t be in the water if you hope to stay unseen,” Mr. Thumb remarked, “I can see exactly where you are in the water, because the water is displaced by your invisible body leaving a hole in the water.”

“I’ve got it! Maybe we can cover you with some cheese,” Mr. Thumb exclaimed, “and see if you can fly!” The gnomes who had disappeared into the woods but always seemed to be attuned with Mr. Thumb’s every crazy desire stepped out of the bushes caring cans of Cheese Wiz and nacho dipping sauce.

“No!” I shouted, “This is ridiculous! You really don’t have any idea what you are doing do you?!”
“Well, I Ummm...” Mr. Thumb said looking down at the ground, “I never really said that I did know anything about powers,” he mumbled under his breath.

I was so angry that I could have exploded. But it was just then that I felt the power deep down inside of my mind welling up like a geyser awakening from a dormant sleep. But that didn’t change the fact that I was angry.

“You…” I began, but then I blinked and Mr. Thumb vanished.

All of the creepy gnomes that were carrying the cheese began squealing and babbling in their odd language, and running in all directions for shelter. I was just so surprised that I continued staring at the space where Mr. Thumb had once been.

It appeared as if I had discovered—with the help of Mr. Thumb—my second power.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share with Everyone You Know